1.26.2018

White Chicken Chili

My dear friend's husband recently had major surgery and since my love language is food, I wanted to bring them a meal to let them know how much I care for them and to hopefully help with the healing process. I knew I would be traveling to SF in the middle of the day, so I wanted a meal that I could prepare the day before and bring after being refrigerated. White chicken chili is a comforting bowl of healthy goodness and just gets better over time. I brought optional toppings to go with the chili along with Mini Corn Bread Bites, salad fixings with Lemon Garlic Tahini Dressing and Lemon Squares for dessert. I packed the all dinner goodies in Ikea's storage containers which are cute and  inexpensive, so I could leave the boxes with my friend and she didn't have to worry about returning them. 


White Chicken Chili

2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery
1 jalapeno, deseeded and deveined, chopped finely
2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chili peppers, preferably "fire-roasted", drained
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 teaspoons cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
4 cups chicken broth
2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen or canned corn kernels
salt and pepper to taste

To serve:  grated Monterey jack cheese, chopped avocado, cilantro, lime wedges

Saute onions and celery with olive oil for 5 minutes in dutch oven. Add jalapeno and garlic for one more minute. Push aside vegetables and place chicken breasts at bottom of pot. Brown for a few minutes. Add chicken broth, diced green chili peppers, cumin, salt, coriander, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over medium heat and let simmer for 30 minutes. Remove chicken breasts and shred with two forks.  Add chicken, beans, and corn back to pot and simmer for 10 more minutes.  Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy with all the yummy toppings!
Get Well Meal All Packed Up
Ikea Containers- Great for Food Gifts


No comments :

Post a Comment