5.31.2013

Brown Sugar Dream Bars

Both of my girls are nearing the end of their school year and have their last "advisory" group meeting tomorrow, so it will be a celebratory one.  They wanted to bring in something sweet to share with their dear friends (many of whom I thank for enjoying my blog :) and I wanted to try something new and easy to make. I found this bar recipe in a hand-typed cookie cookbook held together with binder rings that belonged to my Grandma Irma, so it must be one of those old tried and true standbys that they made way back when...
This bar is soft on the bottom and has a sweet brown sugar crust on the top.


Brown Sugar Dream Bars

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup white sugar
1 egg yolk (save the white for the topping)
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

For the topping:
1 egg white
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
optional: 1/2 cup chopped nuts {walnuts would be delicious, but since my kids don't like nuts in their sweets, I did not add any}

Cream butter and sugar. Add remaining ingredients and blend until it all comes together like a dough. Press into 9 x 13" baking dish. Then beat the egg white you set aside earlier until stiff.  Stir in the brown sugar, vanilla and nuts (if you are adding them).
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. After cooled, cut into squares. Enjoy!


No comments :

Post a Comment