5.10.2013

Incredible Crispy Smashed Potatoes

My girlfriends and I started celebrating our upcoming 50th birthdays with a wonderful getaway at the beach at the beginning of the year. Our friend who lives in Switzerland taught us Qigong (kind of like Tai Chi) on the deck, we went for long walks on the beach and cooked amazing meals for one another. One of my girlfriends introduced me to these delicious potatoes which have quickly turned into a family favorite!



Crispy Smashed Roasted Potatoes

15 baby red potatoes
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
freshly ground pepper

Put potatoes in large pot and cover with water. Add 2 teaspoons kosher salt and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until they are very tender and can be pierced easily. They need to be soft (but not too mushy) so that you can squash them on the baking dish. Drain potatoes.
Pour a thin layer of olive oil on baking sheet that has been covered with foil. Place potatoes on pan and gently smash them with bottom of glass. Drizzle a little more olive oil on top, sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper and bake in 450° oven for 30-35 minutes until crispy and golden. Pop 'em into your mouth and enjoy!

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for mentioning our very special weekend away and for featuring my smashed potatoes on your blog! I must give credit to my friend, AW, for showing me how to make them. For those seeking less oil, I do my smashed potatoes on an UNGREASED cookie sheet (no foil) and find that they don't stick (though I can't figure out why!). I also do my smashing between the folds of a cotton dishtowel, though I'm going to try Joy's method because I always have a few that fall apart and smashing them right on the cookie sheet might address that issue. Bon appetit!

    ReplyDelete