7.31.2013

Plum Galette

My parents have some dear friends who have a plum party every year. They invite friends to pick plums from their trees that are laden with fruit. Grandkids were even included this year, but my kids unfortunately couldn't make it- darn!  My parents, though, shared a bag of these delicious plums and since I have always wanted to try a galette, this gave me the perfect opportunity.

I do not have a food processor, so I made the dough just like our grandmothers did before there ever were machines to do the work. I have fond memories of making pie dough with my grandma Irma and she was a quite a pro at making pies! I never really have made pie crust on my own, so this was a first for me. I tried to keep all the ingredients cold like Martha suggests in her recipe and I think it turned out great. I separated the dough into two rounds and made one plum galette and think I will try another fruit for the next one- I will keep you posted!

Juicy plums 
Pie dough made by hand :)
The plums are all wrapped up












Pretty Plum Galette ready to enjoy
Plum Galette

2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for rolling
1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup ice water
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
  • 5 to 6 plums, halved, pitted, and sliced 1/4 inch thick (keep slices together)
  • 1 tablespoon cream (I just used whole milk)

  • In a food processor, or by hand with a pastry cutter, combine 2 1/2 cups flour, butter, 1 teaspoon sugar, and salt; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (if necessary, add up to 1/4 cup remaining ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time). Don't overmix. Remove dough from processor and shape into a disk; wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour. 

  • Meanwhile, wipe bowl of food processor clean and add almonds, 3 tablespoons sugar, and 2 tablespoons flour; pulse until ground to a coarse meal.

  • Preheat oven to 375°. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet; sprinkle almond mixture over dough. Place plum slices on top of dough, leaving about a 2 inch border around the edges.  Fold edge of dough over fruit. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Brush crust with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until crust is golden and underside is cooked through, about 70 minutes for one large one, or 45 minutes if you divide the dough in half and make two. Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment