10.24.2013

Simple Chicken Turnovers

I feel like I have turned into the queen of creative ways to use rotisserie chicken because my sweet dad is so generous in sharing  tasty Costco chickens with us whenever he happens to make a trip there. It is such a treat to have pre-cooked chicken to use in many ways!
This is a recipe I cut out of a Real Simple Magazine a few years ago and since I actually had puff pastry in my freezer and fresh chicken, the stars were aligning to try it out. I only made two "turnovers" instead of four since I wasn't sure if the whole family would like them.  I kept the ingredients basic and true to the recipe below, but next time I would add a tablespoon of pesto underneath the chicken/cheese mixture to give it a little more flavor. You could prep these little "packages" early in the day, refrigerate and then bake them when you got back in the eve.
Puff pastry packages are ready to be sealed with egg wash and baked

Dip your chicken turnover bite in the dijon mustard for a tasty treat!

Chicken Turnovers

1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere
1 cup frozen peas
2 sheets (one whole 17.25 ounce package, unless you want to split it in half like me) frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg, beaten
several tablespoons Dijon mustard

Heat oven to 400° F. In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, Gruyere and peas.
Cut the two sheets of puff pastry in half to form 4 rectangles and place on baking sheet. Dividing evenly, top half of each rectangle with the chicken mixture (if you like pesto, brush on about a tablespoon of pesto before you put on the chicken mixture). Brush egg along edges, fold over and seal the turnovers. Brush the tops with the egg. Bake until golden, 20-25 minutes. Serve with mustard. Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment