5.24.2013

Chicken Enchiladas with Homemade Sauce

I seem to always have rotisserie chicken in my fridge because my sweet dad will pick one up for us anytime he makes a trip to Costco. I love using rotisserie chicken in my enchiladas and usually make them with canned sauce. Last night, I didn't have any cans of sauce, so decided to try making my own. Boy is it easy and tasty and you can tailor it to your taste (for example, my youngest daughter can't stand the smell of cumin, so next time maybe I'll leave the cumin out and see if I can get her to actually try an enchilada :)
I love olives so always add them inside the enchiladas and on top as well, but my kids are not fans of them, so I keep their enchiladas clear of olives.

Can you tell which half is for the kids?


Homemade Enchilada Sauce
this makes the perfect amount for 10 enchiladas in a 9 x 13" pan
   
1 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons flour
1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
3/4 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons cumin

In a large sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chili powder and flour whisking constantly to combine. Mixture will be a thick paste (roux).Slowly add in a small amount of tomato sauce whisking until the roux has dissolved. If you don't whisk, it will end up a lumpy mess! Once the roux is combined, add the rest of the tomato sauce and chicken broth. Whisk to combine.Add in the rest of the spices, stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
This has a very mild flavor- you could add a pinch of cayenne or 1/2 teaspoon more chili powder if you want a bit more "kick".

recipe from here

Chicken Enchiladas
       
2-3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1-3 cups shredded cheese
10-11 corn tortillas
1 recipe enchilada sauce
optional:  black beans, olives, corn

Pour 1 cup of sauce in bottom of 9x13" glass pan. Dip 5 tortillas in sauce on both sides and keep them in bottom of pan. This keeps the enchiladas nice and moist. Take one tortilla, add a handful of chicken and a little bit of cheese.  Roll tortilla up and place on edge of pan. Do the same with the others, lining them up tightly. When five are in a row on one side, add some more sauce on the vacant side of the pan and repeat. I squeezed a bonus enchilada  in between the rows to make a total of 11. Pour remaining sauce all over enchiladas and sprinkle cheese on top. 

You can refrigerate and bake them the next day or bake at 350° for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are bubbling. 

 If you want to keep the enchiladas lower in fat, just fill the tortilla with chicken and only sprinkle a little cheese on top- still just as good! I like to add olives, too, but not in all of them because my kids don't like olives. You could also add black beans and corn, too, to make them really interesting. Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment