2.04.2016

Easy Coffee Cake

My good friend Abbie recently made the Pioneer Woman's Coffee Cake and shared a piece with me-- and it was awesome! She inspired me to make coffee cake this morning for my daughters and their sleep-over buddies, but when I looked in my fridge, I only had one stick of butter (and Ree's recipe calls for three). 
I found the recipe below some time ago and thought it was the perfect time to try it since I was butter-challenged. This coffee cake recipe turned out to be a keeper- it was very easy to make (no creaming of butter or whipping of egg whites required, so I didn't have to pull out the mixer) and my daughters and their friends said the cake part was just as good as the topping! Try it!


Tyra Bank's Great Grannie's Old-Fashioned Coffee Cake

Preheat oven to 350

Ingredients:
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
11/2 t. salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg (I didn't have nutmeg, so I used Pumpkin Pie spice- cinnamon would  work, too)
11/4 cups canola oil
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (I did not have buttermilk, so added 1 1/2 T lemon juice to 1 1/2 cups 
     milk and let it sit for 10 minutes)
2 teaspoons cinnamon for topping

Directions:
1. In large bowl, mix all-purpose flour, packed brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt  and nutmeg until no lumps remain. 

2. Whisk in vegetable oil until the oil is incorporated with the dry ingredients.
  
3. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of this mixture for the topping. Add cinnamon to topping; set aside.

4. To the remaining mixture in the large bowl add baking powder, baking soda, eggs and buttermilk. Mix completely.

5. Spread batter in greased 13" x 9" pan; sprinkle with topping. 

6. Bake 45 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Enjoy!


No comments :

Post a Comment